• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
Space is a big place.

So big that most people, for example, have trouble grasping how far the Moon is away from the Earth (spoiler - you can fit every planet in the solar system end to end in the gap). Science fiction often trivialises this scale (and the emptiness between) which I guess makes sense from a film making perspective if expedience is key however I'm a sucker for when a film provides useful visual cues as to the size of either space phenomena or, more frequently, the size of capital ships.

The Original Star Wars Trilogy did this sublimely. The opening shot of A New Hope is a great example (as well as being one of the most famous opening shots in cinema, full stop):

This shot has been discussed to death, I know, but it really does say so much with so little. It instantly establishes how insignificant the rebels are versus the Empire and more pertinently, how hopelessly outmatched the Blockade Runner is. It isn't long before it's swallowed whole:

RpmIl.jpg

Moving on, by this point in the Empire Strikes Back we've become familar with seeing the Millenium Falcon in a variety of settings and can reasonably infer its size. Here we see the Millenium Falcon cheekily hiding attached to the bridge of a Star Destroyer, again providing some context of scale:

main-qimg-c6cb7893a7afc7195ed34db2ef978f8c.webp

In the same movie the mother of all command ships is introduced - the Executor - literally putting the other capital ships in the shade and taking the scale to a whole new level. All while providing a relatable context (the Star Destroyer) as a visual yardstick:

tumblr_nx84dpF0aR1qj6sk2o3_500.gifv

tumblr_nx84dpF0aR1qj6sk2o1_500.gifv

tumblr_nx84dpF0aR1qj6sk2o4_500.gifv

tumblr_nx84dpF0aR1qj6sk2o2_500.gifv

super-star-destroyergif.gif

The size of this beast is further emphasised in Return of the Jedi when Luke and Han perform a flyby of its frankly staggering bridge:

And later its firey demise as it crashes, giving the viewer some idea of the sheer bulk of the second Death Star iteration:

superstardestroyer.gif

I haven't mentioned the Death Star yet though it's quite obviously the largest man-made body in the Star Wars OT universe. I've always found it quite hard to fathom its size, in truth. Its possible that it was quite hard to convey by the filmakers as it was never really built to scale.

Rogue One, certainly made some inroads here, at least in direct comparison to Star Destroyers:

rogue-one-star-destroyer-gif-1.gif

Outside of the OT, there are fewer instances where the scale of Imperial hardware (or otherwise) is emphasised and perhaps, narratively, it was no longer necessary. That said The Force Awakens, uses some beautiful imagery to show a fallen Empire rusting in the sand:

CPX.gif

Flying through the innards of an Executor-class Super Star Destroyer.

falcon-gif.jpg

I'm almost definitely missing some other interactions that provide a visual cue as to scale. In general I think Star Wars handles considerations of starship size particularly well, though I can think of examples in Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly and more which approach the same level of cohesiveness.

I'll finish with a comparison of all fictional Star Ships:

What say you, Era, does any other sci fi do it better?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
file-20180607-137315-ljsnoe.png

does jp count? because they managed to never capture scale again really. 2 yeah, but then 3 was likea monster fight movie.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The movies convey scale so clearly that people were making fun of some their official dimensions. Like for ages Lucasfilm's dimensions for the A-Wing were far larger than what was conveyed in the movie. And then TLJ came and made their (updated) A-Wing the size that it actually was in RotJ. Rogue One also changed the official dimensions of the X-Wing and TIE Fighters to be more in line with fan analysis.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue One was really good at this.

No surprise coming from Gareth Edwards who did the scale thing really well in Godzilla.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Dude gives a speech about fighting to the end or some shit and then just sits there and dies because he's too lazy to walk to a ship.
He wasn't lazy, he was all messed up and exhausted from his long war. It might have been a rushed moment, but the movie explained his whole deal well enough I thought.

In any case he was basically an Easter egg for Clone Wars fans. His death was no different than any other contrived movie moment where a character who is no longer needed just kinda gives up.

Last edited:

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Star Trek is terrible at this. Ships are constantly rescaled to fit what specific episodes need.

You would think this would get better with modern technology but then we ended up with Turbolift City.

EDIT:

Actually Star Trek TMP has some fantastic establishing shots for scale within V'ger.

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The beauty of that opening shot of the original is that when the blockade runner comes into view your first reaction is: ooh! Spaceship!

and then that motherfucking Star Destroyer eclipses it.

And idd, one of the best things about Rogue One is the sense of scale in its establishing shots.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Thank you for reminding me what it feels like to think about Star Wars in a purely positive context.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek is terrible at this. Ships are constantly rescaled to fit what specific episodes need.

You would think this would get better with modern technology but then we ended up with Turbolift City.

EDIT:

Actually Star Trek TMP has some fantastic establishing shots for scale within V'ger.
Approximately 45 minutes of them.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
The scale is all wrong on your super star destroyer examples. It looks dozens of time larger than regular star destroyers and minuscule next to the flat surface of the Death Star when it should be heavily curved.

Star Wars has never been very accurate with scale.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm almost finished reading Rinzler's Making of the OT films, and the work that went into the matte paintings and models is insane. Also Joe Johnston doesn't get enough kudos for his contribution to that trilogy.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It would be better if the size actually meant anything. In SW we just end up with absolutely ridiculous sizes with no implications what so ever.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This just reminds how bad the sequel trilogy was in terms of cool Star Wars-y space shots. I hated all the establishing stops of the First Order star destroyers. Just everything about the framing and movement, or lack thereof... just didn't feel like Star Wars at all. Dunno how Rogue One got it so damn right but the entire sequel trilogy, barring a handful of shots, got this stuff so wrong.

OP
OP
RefreshZ

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
It would be better if the size actually meant anything. In SW we just end up with absolutely ridiculous sizes with no implications what so ever.

Well at least in terms of the Death Star, size really did count. Rogue One reminded us again just how terrifying that thing showing up in your orbit could be.

Oct 27, 2017
This just reminds how bad the sequel trilogy was in terms of cool Star Wars-y space shots. I hated all the establishing stops of the First Order star destroyers. Just everything about the framing and movement, or lack thereof... just didn't feel like Star Wars at all. Dunno how Rogue One got it so damn right but the entire sequel trilogy, barring a handful of shots, got this stuff so wrong.

Outside of maybe Empire I don't think the OT and PT necessarily look all that great in terms of the film-making. Design-wise they're awesome of course but I don't remember those movies for their great shots or general cinematography. I think the new movies look a lot better, especially TLJ and Rogue One.

Speaking of Rogue One, someone really needs to pair up Gareth Edwards with some better scripts or something because the man definitely makes beautiful looking movies. It just sucks that looks are usually the only good thing about them.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Rogue One made the Death Star feel truly huge, imposing and terrifying, especially any time it was looming through the atmosphere. I never found the Death Star particularly scary in the OT but in Rogue One it gave me goosebumps.

Also the Star Destroyer warping in and smashing into the escaping ships. God damn. A screen of empty space suddenly filled, another brilliant portrayal of scale.

If anyone has gifs of those moments handy they'd be worthy examples.

Edit:
Rogue One is great at this.

a450600099fc4e8f01716bbc478b6513.jpg
Adore this one!

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue One was a mediocre movie, but it definitely had some impressive cinematography going for it. Some beautiful shots.

Also definitely co-signing with the hyperspace ram from The Last Jedi. The silence and staging felt like a pin drop moment in terms of conveying the scale of its magnitude.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I always like the intro shots for Episode 3's Battle of Coruscant:

Another good one I liked from Episode I's Otoh Gunga reveal shot:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I know that everyone thinks what they're posting is iconic, but could you please include sources?
As someone that has very little interest in Star Wars, having only seen (some of?) the original trilogy back in the '90s, and the first episode of The Mandalorian, I have no idea what half of these are.

This is a great thread, though, and it makes me wish I enjoyed that brand of sci-fi/fantasy… or that I had some examples to post. Nothing immediately comes to mind.

In case there is anyone that doesn't know, the first is an image from Blade Runner 2049, and the second, from the original Blade Runner.
This is Independence Day, right?
(another movie I don't think I've seen in 25 years)
FloweryHoarseBrownbear-max-1mb.gif

Followed up with
AdoredUltimateGangesdolphin-size_restricted.gif

God tier
I assume these are more Star Wars GIFs, but what are they from?
That second one in particular looks great.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I adore the opening shot of The Force Awakens, too:

RFZNP.gif

The First Order scything through and blacking out the only source of light in the scene (foreshadowing the Starkiller stuff later on), and then the little drop ships just trickling out at the last moment. Finn's on one of those ships, and you can interpret it as symbolizing his own escape from the darkness into a little speck of the light. Plus there's the little bonus of the very tip of the Star Destroyer featuring Kylo's lightsabre design.

I assume these are more Star Wars GIFs, but what are they from?
That second one in particular looks great.

None other than Era's favourite movie, The Last Jedi!

Nov 23, 2017
You left out the most important question.... when do we get a lego version of it to sit above the current Star Destroyer??
tumblr_nx84dpF0aR1qj6sk2o2_500.gifv